The Cortland County Youth Bureau is charged with the responsibility of developing and accounting for a county wide system of youth services. To reach this objective, the Youth Bureau networks with county municipalities and not for profit agencies within the county.
The primary function of the Youth Bureau is to develop a three year plan with the Department of Social Services which includes data to determine youth needs and problems in the county and strategies to address these issues. Based on this plan, the New York State Office of Children and Family Services allocates funds to the county through the Youth Bureau to meet these needs and concerns.
The Youth Bureau Director works to accomplish this function through the following means:
- Participation on the following committees:
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Safety
- Coordinated Children's Service Initiative (CCSI)
- Cortland Area Communities that Care (CACTC)
- Coalition and Board Member
- HealthyNOW Cortland County
- Advancing Tobacco Free Communities
- Working with village/town supervisors for recreation and youth service programs.
- Resource administration via the Cortland County Legislature and the New York State Office of Children and Family Services.
Programs Supplemented by Cortland County Youth Bureau funding:
- Cortland City Youth Bureau Youth Program
- Cortland County Catholic Charities STEPS
- Cortland YWCA Bridges for Kids
- Family Counseling Services Family Matters
- Virgil Youth Roots
- McGraw Recreation Department
- CAPCO Education Program
- Marathon Recreation Department
- Town of Scott Recreation
- Salvation Army- Youth Recreation Program
The Cortland County Youth Bureau also offers the community services during the summer months with the Summer Recreation Program. The Summer Recreation Program offers softball and baseball leagues, as well as programs in archery, arts and crafts, nature, playgrounds, and special trips for youth throughout Cortland Counties municipalities.
Planning for the summer events happens year round, but general meetings are planned and held in the first part of each year. Anyone interested in these services for their town are welcome to attend these meetings and /or contact the Youth Bureau for more information.
To create and support countywide youth services in Cortland County which will provide opportunities for youth to become responsible, productive, and fully integrated members of our community.
Copyright © 2012 Cortland County Youth Bureau. All rights reserved.