Department of Motor Vehicles
The Cortland County Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is a revenue generating office, bringing in dollars for your county. The majority of the money collected in the Cortland County DMV goes to New York State, with only 12.7% staying in Cortland County. That's why it is so important that all county residents renew locally!
Beginning May 7, 2025, you must possess a Real ID or Enhanced Driver's License or non-driver Real ID or Enhanced non-driver ID to access Federal buildings, military grounds or board a plane to fly within the continental United States. These secure documents may also be used to cross the border to Canada or Mexico by land or sea. Licenses are also valid for driving, and licenses and IDs are valid for identity and proof of citizenship. To obtain one of these documents you will need to apply in person.
Click here for a comparison of driver's licenses and passports, and requirements for each.
The Cortland County DMV offers issuance of Driver's Licenses of all kinds:
- Standard Operator Licenses (Class D)
- Junior Operator Licenses (Class DJ)
- Commercial Operators Licenses (Class A, B, C)
- With endorsements
- Motorcycle Licenses (Class M)
- Enhanced Driver's License
- Real ID
Remember to check the NYS DMV website for the required documents needed for each type of license.
- Registrations for boats, snowmobiles, trailers, tractors, and all types of vehicles
- Transfer of new and used vehicles
- Enforcement Transactions (conditional and restricted licenses)
- Written tests for Learner Permits (all classes)
- Road test appointments arranged
- IRP transactions (tractor trailers)
- Reciprocity (transferring from another state to NY.S.)
- Car Dealer's transactions
- Renewal of all vehicle and operator's licenses
- Non-Driver ID (secure form of identification)
- Voter Registration
- Vision tests given and new photos recommended for renewal and duplicate licenses.
Payment for services inside the DMV: Cash, Check or Credit Card
Payment for services at the drive-thru: Cash and Check ONLY. No credit card capability.
Split payments are not accepted.