- County Clerk
- Pistol Permits
Pistol Permit Changes
- Form for Judge Campbell - Click here
- Form for Judge Alexander - Click here @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Pistol Permit Amendments
- Pre-Approved Coupon Information and Signature Page @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Visit the New York State website to get up-to-date information on recertification requirements and things that have recently changed.
In New York State, a license is needed to possess a handgun at home, at a place of business, and to carry the handgun concealed.
The Cortland County Clerk's Office issues and receives all applications and amendments for pistol permits. Judge David C. Alexander and Judge Julie A. Campbell are the licensing officers of handguns, and licensing is completely within their discretion.
A license may be granted if the applicant:
- 21 years of age or older (age requirement does not apply to those honorably discharged from the military).
- Must reside, be principally employed or have a principal place of business as a merchant or storekeeper in Cortland County.
- Is of good moral character and has not been convicted of a "serious" offense (incl. violations and misdemeanors as set forth in section 265 Subd. 17, PL.)
- States if and when treatment received for a mental illness.
- Has "no good cause" existing for denial of the license.
- Has completed the required 18 hour safety course as outlined by New York State.
An investigation will be conducted of all statements required in the application. In the case of a denial, the licensing officer must give concise and specific reasons for the denial.
Available at the Cortland County Clerk's Office for $10. To apply in Cortland County, an application packet must be purchased. There are various applications and forms individuals have been able to find online. These are not sufficient for the Cortland County application process.
Schedule an Appointment: Fingerprinting Service website or by calling their toll free call center at 1-877-472-6915. Service Code: 151HXZ
- Fee is approximately $100
- Two forms of identification at the fingerprinting location. At least one of these must have a photo.
- Completed application must be submitted to the Cortland County Clerk's office within 30 days of being fingerprinted.
Pistol permit photos for new applications may be taken at the County Clerk’s Office for a fee of $10.
Contact the Cortland County Clerk's office for information on this requirement.
What Safety Course is Required?
Click here to complete the form to be added to the list of instructors providing the new 18 hour safety course as outlined by New York State.
Must include make, model, caliber and serial number of each handgun.
$3 for each amendment to permit and $5 to print updated card
$5 for a duplicate card.
Request a transfer with the County where the permit currently is active.
Call Janet Herrick at 607-753-5379.