- County Clerk
Pistol Permits Changes & Resources
FAQs released by New York State
Restriction removal - Below are the forms for each Licensing Officer which is to be completed and either sent or brought to our office. With photo identification our office is able to notarize the permit holder's signature. This begins the process to request removal of restrictions.
- Form for Judge Campbell - Click here
- Form for Judge Alexander - Click here @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- The DMV is open for walk-in Monday-Wednesday and by appointment only Thursday-Friday. Click here to book an appointment.
- No appointment but need DMV services? Please knock and we will try out best to fit you in.
- Additional information regarding the DMV.
- REAL ID Enforcement Extended to May 7, 2025 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Fraud Alert Information: The County Clerk's Office files and records various public documents. Examples include Deeds, Mortgages and Judgments. Click here to learn more about how to sign-up for alerts, to help identify if Fraud has occurred.
Clerk of the Corporation
The County Clerk's Office is the official repository of all records created within the County such as Local Laws, certain resolutions, insurance policies, and county foreclosures. The County Clerk is the "Keeper of the Seal" and must place the seal on all official and financial indebtedness of the county.
ResponsibilitiesThe County Clerk's Office is one of the oldest offices in the state and carries with it a number of responsibilities.
Services provided by Cortland County Clerk's Office include:
- Civil Actions
- Criminal Actions
- Small Claims Assessment Review
- DBA (Doing Business as)
- IRS Small Business Tax and Resource Center
- UCC (Uniform Commercial Code)
- Pistol Permits
Online Records Search - No feeSearch, view, print and save public records, free of charge. Click here to access public records. If you have trouble viewing this website, please phone IQS, 1-800-320-2617 for assistance. Please note: Photocopies made in the County Clerk's office are $.65 per page with a $1.30 minimum (rate set by NYS).
The County Clerk is the County's Record Management Officer and is responsible for overseeing the Records Center on Port Watson Street in Cortland. The Clerk is responsible for retaining and disposing of records in accordance with the Record's Management Retention and Disposition Schedule, as put forth by the NYS Education Department and the NYS Office of Court Administration. Click here to view a copy of the County's Records Management Policy.
Please note: The County Clerk's office does not maintain copies of Birth Certificates. The clerk in the town/city where you were born maintains these copies. For example if you were born at Cortland Regional Medical Center (formerly known as Cortland Memorial Hospital) the Cortland City Clerk would have this record.
E-Recording & E-Filing
Fee Schedule (PDF).