FAQs released by New York State - Click here.
Recertification information - Click here.
Summary of changes - Click here.
Form to be added to the 18 hour safety course instructor list - Click here.
Restriction removal - in the Summary of changes document there is information regarding the removal of restrictions currently on a Pistol Permit. A permit holder should check their permit, or contact the County Clerk's Office to verify who their Licensing Officer is. Below are the forms for each Licensing Officer which is to be completed and either sent or brought to our office. With photo identification our office is able to notarize the permit holder's signature.
The Cortland County Clerk's Office is open to the public and appointments are not necessary. Amendments by mail are available for those that are unable to come to the office. Click here for the instructions, a sample amendment and a blank amendment to complete and send in by mail.
In New York State, a license is needed to possess a handgun at home, at a place of business, and to carry the handgun concealed.
The Cortland County Clerk's Office issues and receives all applications and amendments for pistol permits. Judge David C. Alexander and Judge Julie A. Campbell are the licensing officers of handguns, and licensing is completely within their discretion.
A license may be granted if the applicant:
- 21 years of age or older (age requirement does not apply to those honorably discharged from the military).
- Must reside, be principally employed or have a principal place of business as a merchant or storekeeper in Cortland County.
- Is of good moral character and has not been convicted of a "serious" offense (incl. violations and misdemeanors as set forth in section 265 Subd. 17, PL.)
- States if and when treatment received for a mental illness.
- Has "no good cause" existing for denial of the license.
- Has completed the required 18 hour safety course as outlined by New York State.
ApplicationsAvailable at the Cortland County Clerk's Office for $10. To apply in Cortland County, an application packet must be purchased. There are various applications and forms individuals have been able to find online. These are not sufficient for the Cortland County application process.
- Schedule an Appointment: Fingerprinting Service website or by calling their toll free call center at 1-877-472-6915. Service Code: 151HXZ
- Fee is approximately $100
- Two forms of identification at the fingerprinting location. At least one of these must have a photo.
- Completed application must be submitted to the Cortland County Clerk's office within 30 days of being fingerprinted.
Pistol permit photos for new applications may be taken at the County Clerk’s Office for a fee of $10.
Individuals submitting their applications on or after September 1, 2022 must complete an 18 hour safety course as outlined by New York State PRIOR to the issuance of the permit. This can be taken from anyone in New York State providing the course. A certificate of completion must be submitted to the County Clerk's Office.
All others can contact the County Clerk's Office for additional direction on applicable requirements.
Safety Course Instructor List
Click here to complete the form to be added to the list of instructors providing the new 18 hour safety course as outlined by New York State.
Must include make, model, caliber and serial number of each handgun.
$3 for each amendment to permit and $5 to print updated card
$5 for a duplicate card.